Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Heterosexism and Homophobia

I recently heard through the grapevines that an old friend of mines partner of nearly 25 years had passed away. I was greatly taken aback and immediately called to express my emotion with my old friend in her time of grieving. I asked if she needed help in preparing and arranging the services or if she even needed the smallest amount of company at this point; as a strong, lovely feminist, she denied my travel to her and said that hearing my voice was well enough. In our ending of a somewhat brief conversation, I asked if she would be able to tell when the services were and where they were to be located. She stated that nothing was finalized and that if she forgot to call and tell me that it would be listed in the obituary the following day. I agreed that in this time of planning and running around that my ability to check an online obituary was absolutely fine and convenient for all. So, the following day I searched and searched the Obits for "K's" listing. I finally located it and was overcome with more emotion and anger than I ever thought possible.

The exquisite obituary naming three children survivors and a loving partner (my friend) of 25 years had been botched and shredded by the editor. The editor removed all evidence that K and my dear friend had been partners and had mothered three children together in 25 years of partnership. I was appalled. I'm still appalled. I'm hurt and hurting for my friend and her children. She is hurting and is back in the closet! Damn Homophobia and bring an end to heterosexism!!

2 comments:

  1. Yow - who wrote the obit? And do you know that the editor edited it - if so, how inexcusable.

    I have always thought -phobia was not the adequate terminology - I don't think folks fear as much as they hate and are small hearted and ignorant

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend wrote the original obit that included their children, but that was not the one printed. I attended the services and the editor accepted fault for not publishing the requested original obit. I believe that job is now open in their town.

    ReplyDelete